Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Week Eleven: Loving Words (Chapter Ten)


By: Michelle Guevara
Online Facilitator

In Genesis, we read how God spoke things into existence.  Think about that for just a minute. He spoke WORDS and everything was formed.  In Genesis 1:27 we are told that God created us in His own image.  So let's put this all together.  The Creator of all things used words to bring form to the formless and life on earth.  He then made us in His image and gave us the ability to use words to speak life into others.

These five-letters formed together, W-O-R-D-S, has the power to do so much in our life and the lives of others.  How is it that we can run off at the mouth by speaking things that grieve the heart of Jesus?  Or worse, remain silent when our very word could transform someone else's life and point them to their loving Father?  To quote James 3:10, "Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!"

Cynthia Heald shared in chapter 10 (page 93), "Truth and love must go hand in hand."   Isn't it amazing that in order for our words to be powerful and anointed by God's Spirit, they must be drenched in truth and love?  As we close out this chapter and move into the final week of our Bible Study, I want you to meditate on three (3) five-letter words that cannot appear without one another if we are to become women who love like Jesus does.

WORDS
TRUTH
AGAPE

Prayer: Heavenly Father, please let every word that comes from my mouth be anointed, consecrated and sanctified by Your Spirit.  I desire for my words to reflect a heart that is selfless, transparent and filled with unconditional love for others - a true definition of agape love.  I aspire for Your truths to be before my eyes and on my lips each day.  Teach me to speak words that urge others to follow You, encourage those who are timid, speak tenderly to the weak, show patience with everyone, exemplify true joy in You, and show deep gratitude in all circumstances (1 Thessalonians 5:14-18).  I belong to You, Jesus, and I want to continue to become a woman who loves.  

1 comment:

  1. The words that come from our fingers also need to be anointed, consecrated and sanctified by Your Spirit. Thank you Lord for this bible study. It has been so revealing to me.

    ReplyDelete